1941 – Paul’s parents, Lyle and Jessie, moved from Onida, SD to a farm two miles northwest of the current lodge.
1945 – Lyle and Jessie bought the land around the present lodge and made this farm the “home place.” Lyle raised wheat, corn and sheep. The farm was fenced for grazing.
1950′s – The family switched from raising sheep to cattle.
1971 – Paul married Cheryl Eggers in Sioux Falls, SD. The family cattle operation now included a feedlot.
1983 – Paul made the shift from “rancher” to “farmer.” The cattle were sold and more land was acquired.
1988 – The Conservation Reserve Program began. Paul re-seeded many acres to native grasses. Thousands of trees and numerous food plots were planted. Several deep artesian wells were dug. Pheasants began to proliferate.
1992 – Conversion of the ranch hand’s house into a place to house guests got underway. This is the first year hunters were hosted at the farm. Though hunting officially began the previous year, visitors stayed at a nearby bed and breakfast.
1993-1995 – Many additions of bedrooms and lounge areas were added to the main lodge.
1997 – Main office was built in Gettysburg.
1999 – Erik Nelson graduated from Oklahoma State and returned to the farm – the third generation on the land.
2000 – Bunkhouse with 10 semi-private rooms was built.
2001 – Addition of the African Room.
2006 – King Lodge was built with 10 bedrooms.
2008 – Erik Nelson married Tami Thompson of Selby, SD on August 9. On December 14, a fire destroyed King Lodge and mildly damaged nearby Bunkhouse.
2009 – King Lodge was rebuilt with 14 bedrooms. Bunkhouse was reconfigured to include 8 private rooms, it’s own bar area, and renamed Buffalo Suites.